Thursday, September 25, 2008

freedom


So I've been thinking a lot about the word "freedom." I hear it through news sources with regards to the campaigns & politics and in my religion classes when we talk about the Will. I remember being in High School and reading some work of John Paul II (the Great!) and learning that freedom is not the ability to do whatever you want, but the ability to do good. Boy, did that influence my young adult life!
[sidenote: I've gotten up 3 times just in those few sentences to referee a fight, distribute Doritos, (after having a debate as to whether or not they are kosher-- Sophia's friend is a practicing Jew), and last but not least, made cups of cranberry pomegranate juice.]
Today I came across this further idea on the nature of freedom, (and from the eighth grade's religion book no less!) that real freedom is freedom inside of reality, not freedom from reality. Hmm... If I had the book in front of me, I'd post the actual passage, (maybe I'll add that at a later date.) I thought about this as my class wrote an essay on the Sacraments of Initiation. So I thought, when abortion is promoted, freedom is not being promoted, as pro-abortionists would like to claim, because it's asking for something that is outside of reality. It's trying to deny that there is a real, live human being that also requires freedom. Denying reality doesn't make you free to decide. It makes you free to lie and be lost. Hmm...

No comments: