Tuesday, July 8, 2008

it'll be nice to have ice...


I've had a love-hate relationship with ice. When I was younger, I craved ice. I would chomp on it like there was no tomorrow. I was warned that it would crack my teeth or that it indicated that I had an iron deficiency. And looking back, remembering how refreshing and delicious it was, I was probably just dehydrated. (I don't ever remember drinking water as a kid...) There was nothing more tempting than the feeling of putting a cube of ice in my mouth and lingering in that moment when the heat of my mouth would cause the cube to crack. Snap. It was mine.
However, after Germany, I saw ice cubes as pieces of extraneous luxury that I could do with out. If my drink came from the fridge and was already cold, then why did I need ice? I especially found it silly given that eventually the ice would begin to melt and water down my sweet lemonade. My interest in the environment went on to proclaim the uselessness of ice in the sphere of drinking... it was good for packing a head suffering from a migraine, but little else. (I also began to worry about my teeth cracking...)
Since then, I have not put forth any effort in the way of ice, since no one can seem to refill ice cube trays except for Billy and it's just one more thing to wash for me. Billy often puts glasses of water in the freezer to get them nice and cold, but unfortunately, most of the time, I don't know it's in there, and I knock it over... which is great if it's been in there for a while and a mess if it hasn't.
Finally tiring of this song and dance, Billy volunteered to install the tubing/piping required for the icemaker in my freezer to work. We worked on it last night and I am grateful for his initiative! Reagan offered some mechanical help and Ray stood around making jokes... :) Sadly, something was up with the Saddle-something or other so we have to replace that flexi-metal tubey thing before we can try again. At least the hard work of moving applicances, drilling holes, and feeding the cooper tube through is done. Soon and very soon, we will have ice. (I've just gotta wash the bucket-tray thing that catches the ice cubes since I've been using it to hold potatoes and onions in the pantry...)

2 comments:

Raymond Lindholm said...

Hey...I helped thread the COPPER tubing in...that was a very important job. I also convinced reagan that it was a bad idea to try and puncture the copper tube. Give credit where credit is due!

Raymond Lindholm said...

You should publish an update on our ice situation...