Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Mothers and War


For this entry, I was inspired by Sally Field's acceptance speech at the Emmy's. I didn't watch the Emmy's, but heard about her censored comments, so I looked it up on youtube-- I got the uncensored version. God bless that funny website.
But, it got me thinking... what is this generally accepted notion that women are equipped with some ability to avoid war? While, women, as a whole, being less aggressive than men, could be less likely to engage in violence, there are some characteristics of women that would lend themselves to being just as prone as men--particularly if the woman is a mother.
Mothers are wired to protect their children. And most will do so at any cost. There is a strong inclination in defending their territory as well. I can't even put a sign on the door to discourage moms from walking through my group meeting without being put on the brink of war. Perhaps women can be more discreet. Perhaps their cold stares are more effective and perhaps they can get the job done faster, more efficiently--because they're better at multi-tasking. But, I do not see that if mothers ran the world that we would not be at war. No need to look to Margaret Thatcher, Indira Gandhi, or Golda Meir, just watch moms in the car pool line...